From Manchester to NYC
- Fly direct from Manchester Airport to Newark International Airport. We booked three months in advance at a cost of £650pp. manchesterairport.co.uk. To compare the best flight times and prices visit: www.skyscanner.net.
- A lot of international flights are early morning so we recommend a stay at Premier Inn Hotel Runger Lane North – just a five minute drive to T2 Manchester Airport where we departed. premierinn.com.
Rooms start from £48 (price dependant on date and room type). The hotel chain guarantee a great night’s sleep – and we couldn’t fault them. The room was fairly basic but equipped with everything you need for an overnight stay – fresh clean white linen sheets, tea and coffee facilities and shampoos and lotions. Hungry? The ground floor restaurant and bar area serves up meals until 10.30pm and light bites through the night. Top tip: Make use of the express check-in / check-out machines to save time and for ease.
Top travel tips
- Grab a NYC CITY pass – it’ll save you dollars if you plan to visit the main NYC attractions – http://www.nycgo.com
- Designer discounts – Ask for ‘tourist discount’ – if a sales assistant hears your English accent you’ll likely be offered ten per cent off a purchase.
- Don’t forget to tip – A 15 to 20 per cent tip is not included but is expected in the USA. Waiter’s wages are usually less to account for tips.
- Tax is applied at the till – don’t be shocked if you have an unexpected tax amount added to your payment. This is ten per cent in most American stores.
- End of stay hotel bill – You’ll be expected to pay a city tax at most American hotels. This is usually $3.50 per night.